Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tis the season

Yes, you heard me right. Tis the season. Pomegranate season.
All my poor friends in the states who have to wait until January for fresh oranges and clementines, munching only on measly pumpkins and gourds, brace yourselves because you are in for a bumpy and jealous ride.
Not only does pomegranate season mean fresh squeezed juice at every corner, but it means all kinds of desserts and delicacies that scream, "I dare you to not enjoy me." Pomegranate, enjoy you I will. From this moment forward I have committed myself to trying every food in Egypt that contains any trace of this delectable fruit. My mouth will be stained with that beautiful maroonish purple with seeds clinging to my every tooth.
Although we are just at the very beginning (I tried a juice and it wasn't quite ripe), I have seen the light. Phakhanis (fruit guys) at every corner with boxes filled to the brim. Juice stands with pomegranates hanging from the ceiling. Friends, I feel as if my life has just begun.

In other news, classes have also started (today was our first day) and it went quite well! I also joined a gym (lovely women's section with jacoozi, sauna, steam room, and aerobics classes) and I look forward to learning all of the words for the different machines.

Stay tuned, folks, the next post will be entitled, "public transportation: a guide to surviving Egyptians on the move."

P.S. I keep forgetting to bring my camera around, but I promise to bring it tomorrow and upload all sorts of photographs as soon as my internet lets me
P.P.S If you have any Egypt related questions that you need answering, send them along and I will be sure to investigate thoroughly and give you my best guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment